Dun Laoghaire Holyhead 1826-2015 2nd Edition
We currently have 1 in stock.
If this item is out of stock it will take around 2 week(s) for us to obtain a copy if you order today. Thanks
By popular demand we have reprinted this book which was first published in 2016. In 1827, while construction work on the Asylum Harbour was underway, that mail steamers began to use the berth available on the new East Pier in 1827 instead of nearby port of Howth. Through two world wars and beyond, the Dun Laoghaire- Holyhead service became a part of Irish life, millions of emigrants passed through the gates of the Carlisle Pier, the mailboat terminal. In happier times, emigration traffic gave way to tourism and the first car ferries appeared in 1965. Thirty years later and the route was selected by Stena Line to receive the first of its revolutionary HSS vessels; a measure of the high standing of the service to the shipping company. After the closure of the HSS service, Dun Laoghaire remains Ireland’s premier leisure port boasting the largest marina in the country. The harbour remains one of the largest manmade harbours in Western Europe and is a popular cruise ship destination.
|Publication Date||7 Aug 2021|
|Record last updated||20/08/2021|