01457 861508

An Illustrated History of Chester Leadworks

Be the first to review this product

An Illustrated History of Chester Leadworks

Details

Chester leadworks is one of the city's oldest industries. It was established in 1800 on the banks of the Shropshire Union Canal, close to the city centre. From lead shot used by soldiers in the Napoleonic Wars to radiation shielding for nuclear submarines, during its 200 years' history the works produced an extensive range of products for many different applications. Operating for many years as Walkers, Parker & Co, it eventually became part of Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd, one of the largest companies in the lead industry. Furnaces were employed to smelt lead ore and other raw material to produce refined lead ingots. These were further processed into finished products which included lead sheet and pipe, red lead, white lead and a whole range of precision castings and other lead fabrications. At the centre of the site was a tower where lead shot was manufactured using a patented technique that was first pioneered in the late 18th century, now a Grade II listed building.

Additional Information

Stock Code: BD823.0
Author: Pickard G
ISBN13: 9781911038238
Height(mm): 275
Width(mm): 215
Page Count: 216
Publication Date: 15 Jul 2017
Publisher: LIGHTMOOR PRESS
Publication Status: Available
MDS Books

Subscribe to our mailing list and receive regular updates